The seldom visited Tami Islands (Wanam, Kalal, Idjan & Nusa Ngut) are in Morobe Province, not far from the town of Finschhafen. They are a small group of uplifted coral atolls, with two main villages on the two larger islands that contain many smaller reefs and cays. In the centre is a beautiful, crystal-clear blue lagoon containing abundant marine life and stunning coral formations.
Locals from 2 islands and mainland greeted us with their cultural performance and then we were free to wander around the village, visit their graveyard, talk to the locals and purchase their shells and wooden carvings.
The smaller, unihabited island off Wanam.
Tami Island Economy
Information provided by our tour guide, Justin Friend
Source of Funding since the year 2000
• Tourism 43 % (Orion Expeditions 60%+)
• Game Fishing 30 %
• Guest House 4% (Not related to Game Fishing)
• Members 9 % (Contribution)
• Fund Raising 14 % (by Members)
Orion contribution to the Tami Islands
• Anchorage Fee – to community
• Landing Fee – per head to community
• Cultural Fee – to people involved in the presentation
(Cultural Group is rotated between islands)
• BBQ Island hire – direct to clan who owns that island
• Individual Carving purchases by guests
• Fresh Fish purchases by ship